Viajar con la mascota. Otras especies

In this page:


There are other animal species which, according to Regulation 576/2013 of the European Parliament and of the Council, can be considered as pets: Invertebrates (with some exceptions), ornamental aquatic animals, amphibians, reptiles, rodents and rabbits (other than production animals according to Regulation 853/2004)


It's considered a non-commercial movement of a pet as long as:

- The maximum number of animals travelling with the owner is up to five.
- There is no commercial purpose or transfer of ownership.
- They travel with their owner or a person responsible for the animal or animals on their behalf during the trip. It is allowed that the movement of the animals is done in a separate means of transport from that of the owner if it occurs within a period not exceeding five days with respect to the movement of the owner/responsible person.

If the movement of your animal(s) does not correspond to that of the non-commercial movement of a pet(s), then it is a commercial movement.

1. Travel to Spain from an EU country.

To introduce these pets into Spain from another EU country (except for ornamental fish), they must be accompanied by a veterinary certificate according to the corresponding INTRA model, written at least in Spanish, and issued within the last 10 days.

INTRA certificate for the introduction of reptiles into Spain as pets

INTRA certificate for the introduction into Spain of other pets

2. Travel from Spain to an EU country.

The rules for the movement of other animal species between Member States are not harmonised at EU level, so each country can establish its own rules.
(additional requirements or health certificate for their introduction)

In the following link of the European Commission, you can find the requirements established by the different Member States:

If you are not available or cannot find the appropriate information, please contact us by email at (only for enquiries about movements within the European Union) to handle this request for information through the health authorities.

Therefore, if you wish to travel with your pet, try to plan your trip with enough time to be able to guarantee that the health requirements of the destination countries are met.

In the event that you are going to return to Spain at a later date, take into account the information in section 1).

3. Travelling to a non-EU country

To travel to a third country, your pet must meet the requirements of that country:

- Get in a contact with the Embassy or Consulate of that country.
- Check the website of the Ministry responsible for the country.
- Consult the information available in the section on exports of pets at CEXGAN, as well as the Export Protocol:

Practical guide to travel with your pet

Areas of Agriculture- Contact

4. Introduce a pet of another species from a non-EU country.

To introduce a pet of another species from a third country, you must do so through one of the Travelers' Points of Entry (Feb-2021) and declare to the Guardia Civil tax office that you are travelling with a pet, presenting the pet's documentation.

The animal must be accompanied by an animal health certificate, which must be signed by an official veterinarian of the third country, and presented at least in Spanish, according to the corresponding model:


Domestic rodents


This information is exclusively of a sanitary nature and does not include other provisions that could be applicable to your animal such as the regulations on potentially invasive species or the CITES Convention