Traveling with pets other than dogs, cats and ferrets (birds, reptiles, rodents, rabbits and others)

In this page:

1. What is the maximum number of pets I can travel with?

In the case of birds, when travelling from a third country (not a member of the EU/EEA), the maximum number of animals that can be moved with their owner as pets is considered to be five.

For the rest of the species, no maximum number has yet been set in the legislation, but to be considered pets they must comply with the definitions in Regulation (EU) 576/2013.

2. Do I (as the owner or person responsible for the animal) need to accompany my pet during the journey?

In principle, all pets must travel accompanied by their owner. For duly justified and documented reasons, it is allowed that the movement of the animals is done in a separate means of transport from that of the owner, if it occurs within a period not exceeding five days from the movement of the owner/responsible person.

3. How long before I travel should I contact my veterinarian?

It is advisable to contact your veterinarian well in advance. Depending on the conditions in the country of destination, whether your pet has the necessary vaccinations in place, or whether it needs a blood test, it may take quite some time to arrange all the documentation.  If you are travelling within the EU, it is recommended to arrive at least 2 months in advance, and if you are travelling outside the EU, we recommend a longer notice.

4. Do I need a pet passport to travel with my pet?

No. The pet passport is only used for dogs, cats and ferrets.

5. What is document legalisation, Hague Apostille or Consular Recognition?

Legalization of documents is a bureaucratic procedure that some countries require for a document to be recognized as valid. There are two types of legalizations: The Hague Apostille or Consular Recognition, which in practice is a series of seals that will be placed by different agencies on the back of the official export certificate made out to your pet.

There are few countries that request a legalization of the official export certificate, but if a country requires it, it will be one type of legalization or the other, never both.

No EU country requires legalisation for documents accompanying your pet from a third country or another EU Member State.

For more information, see the Export Protocol.

6. What happens if I travel with my animal and do not comply with the requirements?

Make sure that your pet meets all the requirements before you travel. Non-compliance may result in pets being detained in quarantine facilities, being returned to the country of origin, or even as a last resort, being euthanized at the owner's expense.
Pets that do not comply with the established requirements can pose a serious risk to both animals and people.


Imagen logotipo Majorera

Raza Caprino Majorera

Raza Majorera se acaba de adherir al logotipo 100% Raza Autóctona. Ya son 64 razas adheridas.

Logotipo Asturiana de la Montaña

Raza Asturiana de la Montaña

La raza Asturiana de la Montaña se acaba de adherir al logotipo 100% Raza Autóctona. Ya son 63 razas...